Important School Closure Updates
On Monday, March 23, Governor Ralph Northam extended his order that all public and private K-12 schools in Virginia close in response to the continued spread of COVID-19 for the remainder of the school year.
ALL of our KEYS Academy schools will continue to offer remote learning opportunities and experiences for all of our students, and we will continue to do so throughout the remainder of this semester. We will take additional steps through outreach to our parents and students to ensure our students continue to participate in our online curriculum and other educational opportunities. Please contact your director if you do not have availability to a computer or internet access.
Our teachers and staff will continue to be available for consult from 9 AM to 2 PM each day through our online curriculum messaging programs, phone, e-mail, and video chat, and we will be monitoring all student progress online. We will send out new student resource packets later this week.
We will honor the following scheduled spring break period for our students and staff:
We understand that this is a trying and uncertain time for all. Please allow us to assist you by responding to our daily phone check-ins, as well as our social, emotional, and academic supports for your students.
Our goal is for students to
- engage in continued learning experiences through their online curriculum, phone support, e-mail support, curriculum messaging systems, and video conferencing
- participate in our social-emotional learning curriculum
- have their sense of well-being supported with the assistance of our staff
Knowledge Empowers You for Success
Welcome to our new KEYS Academy Website! We hope that this site will give you a glimpse into our guiding principles of teaching and learning through Safety, Dignity, and Direction, and the commitment that our talented staff makes as they create and maintain environments in which students are available for learning. If there is any information that you cannot locate on our site, please let us know through the Contact Us link.
KEYS Academy schools are private, day, coeducational special education schools licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to serve special education students in grades K-12 who have classifications of Emotional Disability(ED), Autism, Other Health Impairment (OHI), and/or Specific Learning Disability (SLD). KEYS Academy is committed to providing a quality education to students within their home community, and preparing students, when possible and appropriate, to return successfully to their home schools.
KEYS Academy Schools are accredited!!
In December 2017, KEYS Academy-Culpeper and KEYS Academy-Charlottesville received word that they have been granted accreditation status through VAISEF, Virginia Association of Independent Special Education Facilities. Congratulations staff on a job well done!
- Blended learning using digital curriculum tiered to meet individual learning needs (APEX, Edgenuity, Hybridge, Reflex Math, Wilson Reading System, Lexia, and Study Island)
- Whole group, small group, and individual learning settings
- Social Thinking (developed by Michelle Garcia Winner)
- KEYS Curriculum (developed by Sally Twentey and Deborah Moore)
- Optimize learning opportunities
- Demonstrate self determination
- Demonstrate understanding of safety, dignity, and direction
- IEP goal progress
- BIK goal progress
- Return to LEAs
Implicit and unique communication instruction allows student and staff relationships to grow in Safety, Dignity, and Direction.
OutcomesAcademic gains through
- Reading and math level gains
- Course progress
- Course credits
- Passing SOLs
- Verified credits and LVC
- Modified Standard Diplomas (historically)
- Standard diplomas
- Return to LEAs
- Transition to work, trade school, or college